Thai Starters – Spring Rolls, Thai Style (Serves 8-10)
1 – 2 oz transparent vermicelli noodles (obtainable from Chinese supermarket)
2 – 4 oz cooking oil
1 onion, small, chopped finely
1 clove garlic, chopped finely
4 oz minced lean pork, chicken or beef salt, pepper, fish sauce, soya sauce, sugar to taste
1 oz carrots, grated
2 – 4 oz beansprouts, chopped coarsely
2 spring onions, chopped finely
10 spring rolls or pancake skin (obtainable from Chinese supermarket)
1 – 2 medium size egg omelet, shredded
1 – 2 oz mushrooms, washed and sliced thinly cooking oil for deep frying
- Soak the transparent vermicelli noodles until soft. Cut into short strips, 1 – 1 1/2″
- Heat the oil and cook the onion and garlic until soft or brown.
- Add the minced meat, mushrooms, noodles, salt, fish sauce, soya sauce and sugar. Stir well, cover and lower the heat.
- Add the carrots and spring onion. Cook for a few more minutes then add the shredded omelet. Stir gently. Add chopped beansprouts. Drain off any liquid and leave cool.
- Spoon the stir fried mixture onto the pancake skin and wrap in long or square panels as desired. Secure the edges with egg or water or with a mixture of water with cornflour dissolved in it.
- Heat the cooking oil. Deep fry until crispy and brown all over.Serve with chilli sauce or white radish.
Sweet Corn Fritters
1 clove garlic
1 sprig coriander root
8 oz sweet corn – tinned (drained) or frozen (if frozen, thaw)
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 oz cornflour
2 oz plain flour, salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste, cooking oil for deep frying
Garnish – chopped peanuts and coriander leaves
- Peel and finely chop the garlic and coriander roots. Then pound them into a fine paste, using a pestle and mortar.
- Chop the sweet corn into small pieces, or use a blender and blend coarsely.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well in a large mixing bowl.
- Put mixture in blender and blend for a few seconds.
- Heat the cooking oil and deep fry the mixture, using a dessertspoon for each portion. Flatten slightly and fry until golden brown all over. Drain and rest on paper kitchen towel.Serve hot with chilli sauce, chopped peanuts and coriander leaves.